Camille (1936)

 George Cukor's "Camille"


I have to say that I'm getting rather bored of these Hollywood vehicles for Greta Garbo. I feel like Garbo is a great actress and I'm not bashing her performances in these films, however the choices of films the studio puts her on have been less than desirable. I do admire a few, especially her silent films, as well as her best film, Ernst Lubitsch's "Ninotchka." That being said, this film, George Cukor's "Camille," provided me no emotional resonance of any kind. 

The film centers on a French courtesan named Marguerite Gautier living in 19th century Paris. Because of a terminal illness, she desires simple pleasures in life. One day she meets a young man, but must break his heart before he can know the truth.

I found the plot to be utterly empty. I found Cukor's direction to be standard for Hollywood films at the time. I found Garbo's performances to be typical of her career. I normally do not bash films when I write, however, I was so disinterested in this.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rio Bravo (1959)

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)

King Kong (1933)