One of Our Aircrafts is Missing (1942)

 Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger's "One of Our Aircrafts is Missing"


Once again, another British propaganda film from the Powell & Pressburger gang during their nation's darkest hours. This time, 1942's "One of Our Aircrafts is Missing" plays like an inverted "49th Parallel." In "49th Parallel," it is the Nazi stranded in enemy territory (Canada), as their team begins to disintegrate due to in-fighting and being taken down one by one by the Allied forces. In "One of Our Aircraft is Missing," it is the Allied forces who are stranded in enemy territory (Nazi-occupied Holland). Only, the Allied forces continue working together as a cohesive unit to make it out. 

I've got to say that I much preferred "49th Parallel" to this film. I felt as though "49th Parallel" really engaged me in more complex ways, especially how the Nazi ideology continues to get challenged throughout the film through various competing ideologies of Canadian residents. With "One of Our Aircrafts is Missing," I felt as though the sole crux of the story was simply getting out alive (with the help of some allied Hollanders). I felt my attention to the film begin to wander many times and couldn't quite keep myself interested. 

That being said, I fully realize that this film is an iconic film amongst The United Kingdom film community and it is a staple UK film, especially given the wartime context. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rio Bravo (1959)

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)

King Kong (1933)