The Awful Truth (1937)

 Leo McCarey's "The Awful Truth"


Did I enjoy Leo McCarey's 1937 screwball comedy "The Awful Truth?" Sure, certainly. It was entertaining. However, I found nothing of note in the film and felt no sense of connection to it in any way. That being said, its very apparent that Cary Grant is the king of the screwball comedy and can do no wrong in that particular genre. As far as Irene Dunne, she is completely forgettable. As for Leo McCarey, I know he is a very typical studio director and in most cases, directs comedies. I have no issues with McCarey, but find his films to be rather lacking. All in all, I was mildly amused by the screwball antics of "The Awful Truth," but it is certainly not worth writing home about.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rio Bravo (1959)

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)

King Kong (1933)