Love Affair (1939)

 Leo McCarey's "Love Affair"


Well, gosh darn if Leo McCarey's 1939 romance film "Love Affair" isn't one of the most sweetest and delightful films of the 1930s. The film stars Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne as two star-crossed lovers who agree to meet at the top of the Empire State Building in 6 months time after they leave their current partners. However, tragedy strikes when one isn't able to attend, leaving the other to wonder about the circumstances of the one that got away.

I have to say that I went into the film not really excited nor interested in such a premise or with this certain director. Don't get me wrong, I've liked a couple of McCarey films before, namely 1933's "Duck Soup" and 1937's "Make Way for Tomorrow." However, McCarey isn't a director that strikes a lot of interest in me, and can have unremarkable duds. That being said, "Love Affair" really pulled me in with its utter charm. Especially the charm of Boyer and Dunne. I felt the pull of love between the two and I felt the heartbreak of their separation. All in all, I was completely enamored by this film. This will be my last McCarey watch and it was definitely worth it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rio Bravo (1959)

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)

King Kong (1933)