Cat People (1942)

 Jacques Tourneur's "Cat People"


Going in to Jacques Tourneur's 1942 film "Cat People," I was hoping that I would be pleasantly surprised, given that most of my experiences with classic Hollywood B-horror films is abysmal. I typically do not enjoy them, as they do not offer a whole lot of engagement for me. The allegorical contents are paper-thin and the genre elements are always dated, making the whole experience less-than. However, I was not pleasantly surprised by "Cat People." To me, it's just another of the before-mentioned let downs. I really liked the visual tones created by Tourneur, but the story lost me completely to the point where I even stopped paying attention by the film's end. The best thing about the film is its overall ambiance, which I really dug. However, it wasn't enough to win me over. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rio Bravo (1959)

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)

King Kong (1933)