I Married a Witch (1942)

 Rene Clair's "I Married a Witch"


During the second World War, many Western European filmmakers escaped to the US in order to continue their filmmaking career. Rene Clair, the father of the French poetic realist movement, was one of these prominent directors. While in Hollywood, he filmed what would be his most memorable Hollywood film, 1942's "I Married a Witch." The film was brought to Clair by Preston Sturges, who offered it as a vehicle for actress Veronica Lake. Lake, who had just starred in Sturges' 1941 film "Sullivan's Travels," would make "I Married a Witch" the role she was most remembered for in her career. 

Personally, I found "I Married a Witch" to be far too silly and uninteresting. I was captured by its charm at the beginning of the film, but it quickly devolved into utter nonsense. I also am completely uninterested in Veronica Lake, as I find her acting to be very bland and boring. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rio Bravo (1959)

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)

King Kong (1933)